Update 5/1/23 1:20pm: The Times Union reports that players and coaches have not been paid since April 21st. Additionally, Albany Empire management says a number of players were suspended after an ‘incident’ on the bus ride back to Albany after the team fell to the Carolina Cobras Sunday night.
The list of players said to be gone from the team are:
- Quarterback Sam Castronova
- Wide Receiver Darius Prince
- Lineman Brandon Sesay
- Defensive Back Dwayne Hollis
- Linebacker Nick Haag
- Lineman Melvin Hollins
The Empire’s acting president, Alberony Denis, says it was a payroll issue that caused the non-payments. He says payments will be issued Monday afternoon.
Eight players and the head coach have apparently been fired from the Albany Empire, according to CBS 6.
BREAKING: Sources close to the Albany Empire tell me that 8 players and head coach Damon Ware have been let go from the team following last night’s loss over issues with pay.— AJ Pankowski (@PankowskiAjCBS6) May 1, 2023
Players include QB Sam Castronova and WR Darius Prince.
More news to come on @CBS6Albany.
This season, the first since former NFL player Antonio Brown took over, has been plagued with issues including the team’s co-owner selling his shares of the team and many of the front office staff departing. Keep in mind, the Albany Empire is only in week four of the National Arena League season.
Head coach Damon Ware took over after Tom Menas, who led the team to two championships in 2021 and 2022, was fired in April.
Two of the players let go include side receiver Darius Prince and quarterback Sam Castronova.
On Sunday, Empire owner Antonio Brown tweeted that he’s looking for new players.
Who’s the best players in the country who want to play for @thealbanyempir opportunities knocking 3P at Steak— AB (@AB84) May 1, 2023
feature photo: Dave Adamson on Unsplash
- BIG 80s & 90s WeekendThis weekend B95.5 is bringing you the BIGGEST hits of the 80s & 90s!!
- Fee Free Tickets Opening Day at the SPAC Box OfficeSPAC Route 50 Box Office Opens for the season with no fees to multiple concerts this summer
- Ronald McDonald House prepares for 5K Fun Run and Birthday BashThe Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Capital Region is getting ready for their Birthday Bash and annual 5K Fun Run and Birthday Bash on Saturday, June 24th.
- BREAKING: Tina Turner Passes AwayThe legendary and beloved ‘Queen of Rock N Roll’ was 83
- Ballston Spa Announces Summer Movie SeriesFirst Fridays are for movies in B-SPA
- 200 New Jobs Coming to the Capital RegionGreat news!
- Free Summer Movies at Albany’s Palace TheatreNeed a spot to bring the kids on super-warm summer days? The Palace Theatre will once again be offering their free ‘Summer…
- Big Show Announced for Summer 2024 at SPACAlready getting ready for next summer!
- Foreigner Chorus VotingVOTE NOW for what choir should open for Foreigner and Loverboy August 1st at SPAC!
- Colonie, Be Prepared to Boil Water Through the WeekendOfficials will continue testing for safety
- Tri-City Valley Cats Giving Away Free Chick-fil-AThe anticipation has been building for YEARS in the Capital Region, when will we finally get our Chick-fil-A? Two restaurants are almost…
- Big Carnival Underway in ColonieRides, thrills and fair food!
- Albany Airport Adds New Direct FlightsThe new flights will be offered starting this summer
- What’s Going on at this Clifton Park Strip Mall?Who’s moving in?
- Food Truck Festival Coming to East GreenbushSummer is delicious and food truck fare is extra tasty. If you love the street food atmosphere, you’ll want to head over…
- Ice Cream, Mini Golf, Go Kart Complex Coming to GlenvilleThe family fun destination will open this summer
- Capital Region School to ‘Lock’ Student’s Cell PhonesPhones will be ‘locked up’
- The B 95.5 Secret SoundListen for the B95.5 Secret Sound it could be your chance to win cash!
- City of Troy Announces Powers Park Concert SeriesA big lineup of party bands and tribute bands will be performing this summer
- Cooperstown ‘Rail Biking’ The Perfect Day Trip From The Capital RegionIf you’re looking for a unique and fun activity to do with a group of all skill and fitness levels then look…