Parts of New York State are currently under an advisory for elevated risk of fire, as and low humidity and overall dry weather make conditions for brush fires more likely.
On Wednesday, firefighters were tasked with containing and putting out a brush fire that spread over three miles in Schoharie County into Otsego County.
CBS 6 says the first report of the fire came in around 2pm Wednesday in the town of Richmondville. Approximately 100 fire and police officials spent the afternoon and evening battling the blaze, which was fueled by strong winds as the night went on.
Larry Fort, a resident of Richmondville told CBS 6 about situation:
The smoke was so bad through here you couldn’t see the neighbors houses or nothing. We kind of made sure everybody stayed in,” said Larry Fort
Nobody was injured, but some homes located near the flames were evacuated as a precaution. Fire officials say a brush fire could easily start just by a tossed cigarette or small ember or spark.
As of Thursday afternoon, there are areas where the fire is still burning and crews continue to fight and contain the blaze.
New York State has issued a burn ban through May 14th.
New York State police aviation helping assist in the Schoharie and Ostego County fires. We are on 24 hours of the fire burning, one 30 acres long have been contained, the other firefighters are still working to put out @CBS6Albany pic.twitter.com/uTw6fs8c97— Ashley Dager CBS 6 (@ashleydagertv) April 13, 2023
This massive brush fire has spread across multiple miles in both Schoharie and Otsego Counties. Several hot spots, including this one by Smith Rd in Richmondville. Crews are still working to contain it. So much smoke in the area. @CBS6Albany pic.twitter.com/rKYqUrbFMh— Briana Supardi (@CBS6Briana) April 13, 2023
Multiple crews help fight large #Schoharie County brush firehttps://t.co/kg7Mu0A1Ue pic.twitter.com/CB74XtUZRO— NEWS10 ABC (@WTEN) April 13, 2023
Multiple large brush fires reported in Schoharie County https://t.co/Rdu7ZGzluB— WNYT NewsChannel 13 (@WNYT) April 12, 2023
feature photo: Briana Supardi, Twitter Video
- BIG 80s & 90s WeekendThis weekend B95.5 is bringing you the BIGGEST hits of the 80s & 90s!!
- Fee Free Tickets Opening Day at the SPAC Box OfficeSPAC Route 50 Box Office Opens for the season with no fees to multiple concerts this summer
- Ronald McDonald House prepares for 5K Fun Run and Birthday BashThe Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Capital Region is getting ready for their Birthday Bash and annual 5K Fun Run and Birthday Bash on Saturday, June 24th.
- BREAKING: Tina Turner Passes AwayThe legendary and beloved ‘Queen of Rock N Roll’ was 83
- Ballston Spa Announces Summer Movie SeriesFirst Fridays are for movies in B-SPA
- 200 New Jobs Coming to the Capital RegionGreat news!
- Free Summer Movies at Albany’s Palace TheatreNeed a spot to bring the kids on super-warm summer days? The Palace Theatre will once again be offering their free ‘Summer…
- Big Show Announced for Summer 2024 at SPACAlready getting ready for next summer!
- Foreigner Chorus VotingVOTE NOW for what choir should open for Foreigner and Loverboy August 1st at SPAC!
- Colonie, Be Prepared to Boil Water Through the WeekendOfficials will continue testing for safety
- Tri-City Valley Cats Giving Away Free Chick-fil-AThe anticipation has been building for YEARS in the Capital Region, when will we finally get our Chick-fil-A? Two restaurants are almost…
- Big Carnival Underway in ColonieRides, thrills and fair food!
- Albany Airport Adds New Direct FlightsThe new flights will be offered starting this summer
- What’s Going on at this Clifton Park Strip Mall?Who’s moving in?
- Food Truck Festival Coming to East GreenbushSummer is delicious and food truck fare is extra tasty. If you love the street food atmosphere, you’ll want to head over…
- Ice Cream, Mini Golf, Go Kart Complex Coming to GlenvilleThe family fun destination will open this summer
- Capital Region School to ‘Lock’ Student’s Cell PhonesPhones will be ‘locked up’
- The B 95.5 Secret SoundListen for the B95.5 Secret Sound it could be your chance to win cash!
- City of Troy Announces Powers Park Concert SeriesA big lineup of party bands and tribute bands will be performing this summer
- Cooperstown ‘Rail Biking’ The Perfect Day Trip From The Capital RegionIf you’re looking for a unique and fun activity to do with a group of all skill and fitness levels then look…