Update 11:17am: New York State Police say they are working with local law enforcement agencies to track down the source of the threats.
Update 10:41am: Police believe the threats were a hoax. Law enforcement has remained on the scene of a number of schools as a precaution.
Police are investigating a series of threats made targeting schools across the Capital Region.
There were reports of an active shooter at Albany High School Friday morning, however Albany Police said those reports are unfounded.
A similar threat was made against the East Greenbush School District, which is currently on lockdown as police investigate. The school district confirmed the news on their website:
All schools remain in a lockdown as a precaution and we continue to be in contact with law enforcement. Superintendent Simons is providing updates periodically to our students and staff via the district-wide PA system. School campuses remain closed.
The Schodack School District also confirmed a threat, Maple Hill High School is on lockdown while other district schools are on lockout – meaning nobody can enter or exit the building.
Police believe this is a case of ‘swatting’ and News 10 says threats have also been reported at Columbia High School and Troy High School. Police say this ‘swatting’ has been happening in different areas of New York State.
feature photo: Jason Lawrence, Flickr Creative Commons (CC BY 2.0)
- ‘Nuclear Circus’ Coming to the Capital Region‘Humans Gone Wild’
- Comedian Matt Rife Adds Another Capital Region DateGet your tix quick!
- Arrested Development to Play Schenectady Summer NightThe Capital Region’s biggest block party is back for 2023!
- Local Choirs to open for ForeignerTwo local chorus groups set to open for the legendary rock band Foreigner and Loverboy at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC) on August 1st.
- Hot Air Balloons in the Capital Region Skies this WeekendHot air balloons, fireworks, carnival rides and more
- [PHOTOS/VIDEO] 25 Years since the Mechanicville TornadoA once in a lifetime storm that ripped through the Capital Region
- Smoky Skies in the Capital Region Tonight, Here’s WhyIt’s actually coming from very far away
- Scotia Announces Freedom Park Concert Series LineupCheck out the local favorites performing this year!
- Fee Free Tickets Opening Day at the SPAC Box OfficeSPAC Route 50 Box Office Opens for the season with no fees to multiple concerts this summer
- Ronald McDonald House prepares for 5K Fun Run and Birthday BashThe Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Capital Region is getting ready for their Birthday Bash and annual 5K Fun Run and Birthday Bash on Saturday, June 24th.
- BREAKING: Tina Turner Passes AwayThe legendary and beloved ‘Queen of Rock N Roll’ was 83
- Ballston Spa Announces Summer Movie SeriesFirst Fridays are for movies in B-SPA
- 200 New Jobs Coming to the Capital RegionGreat news!
- Free Summer Movies at Albany’s Palace TheatreNeed a spot to bring the kids on super-warm summer days? The Palace Theatre will once again be offering their free ‘Summer…
- Big Show Announced for Summer 2024 at SPACAlready getting ready for next summer!
- Colonie, Be Prepared to Boil Water Through the WeekendOfficials will continue testing for safety
- Tri-City Valley Cats Giving Away Free Chick-fil-AThe anticipation has been building for YEARS in the Capital Region, when will we finally get our Chick-fil-A? Two restaurants are almost…
- Big Carnival Underway in ColonieRides, thrills and fair food!
- Albany Airport Adds New Direct FlightsThe new flights will be offered starting this summer
- What’s Going on at this Clifton Park Strip Mall?Who’s moving in?