A historic Capital Region building is now in ruins. A major fire broke out at the abandoned campus of the former Doane Stuart School in Albany’s south end Thursday night.
At a press conference Friday morning, Albany Fire Chief Joseph Gregory said crews arrived around 6:30 Thursday evening and the building was fully engulfed. A total of 24 units and 51 firefighters were on the scene. The fire was brought under control after 10pm. There were no injuries.
History in ruins at the old Doane Stuart 🏫🧯🚒 pic.twitter.com/E5vq7Q3ENF— Hang Time Drones (@HangTimeDrones) March 24, 2023
Plans had been underway to redevelop the abandoned property to convert the abandoned buildings into luxury apartments and condos, but those plans mostly came to a halt in 2019. The grounds have spent the past few years decaying while legal battles over the property ensued.
feature photo: Hang Time Drones/Twitter Video
- BIG 80s & 90s WeekendThis weekend B95.5 is bringing you the BIGGEST hits of the 80s & 90s!!
- Fee Free Tickets Opening Day at the SPAC Box OfficeSPAC Route 50 Box Office Opens for the season with no fees to multiple concerts this summer
- Ronald McDonald House prepares for 5K Fun Run and Birthday BashThe Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Capital Region is getting ready for their Birthday Bash and annual 5K Fun Run and Birthday Bash on Saturday, June 24th.
- BREAKING: Tina Turner Passes AwayThe legendary and beloved ‘Queen of Rock N Roll’ was 83
- Ballston Spa Announces Summer Movie SeriesFirst Fridays are for movies in B-SPA
- 200 New Jobs Coming to the Capital RegionGreat news!
- Free Summer Movies at Albany’s Palace TheatreNeed a spot to bring the kids on super-warm summer days? The Palace Theatre will once again be offering their free ‘Summer…
- Big Show Announced for Summer 2024 at SPACAlready getting ready for next summer!
- Foreigner Chorus VotingVOTE NOW for what choir should open for Foreigner and Loverboy August 1st at SPAC!
- Colonie, Be Prepared to Boil Water Through the WeekendOfficials will continue testing for safety
- Tri-City Valley Cats Giving Away Free Chick-fil-AThe anticipation has been building for YEARS in the Capital Region, when will we finally get our Chick-fil-A? Two restaurants are almost…
- Big Carnival Underway in ColonieRides, thrills and fair food!
- Albany Airport Adds New Direct FlightsThe new flights will be offered starting this summer
- What’s Going on at this Clifton Park Strip Mall?Who’s moving in?
- Food Truck Festival Coming to East GreenbushSummer is delicious and food truck fare is extra tasty. If you love the street food atmosphere, you’ll want to head over…
- Ice Cream, Mini Golf, Go Kart Complex Coming to GlenvilleThe family fun destination will open this summer
- Capital Region School to ‘Lock’ Student’s Cell PhonesPhones will be ‘locked up’
- The B 95.5 Secret SoundListen for the B95.5 Secret Sound it could be your chance to win cash!
- City of Troy Announces Powers Park Concert SeriesA big lineup of party bands and tribute bands will be performing this summer
- Cooperstown ‘Rail Biking’ The Perfect Day Trip From The Capital RegionIf you’re looking for a unique and fun activity to do with a group of all skill and fitness levels then look…