Update 12:13pm: Governor Hochul has declared a state of emergency due to the storm
With a Nor'easter on the way, I am declaring a State of Emergency beginning at 8pm tonight.— Governor Kathy Hochul (@GovKathyHochul) March 13, 2023
We pre-set emergency personnel to prepare for this storm, are in constant contact with local officials, & have activated the @NationalGuardNY to assist with emergency response.
We’ve been behind in snow totals for the 2023 winter season, but that’s all about to change Monday night when a strong winter storm will move into the area. It is expected to bring totals measuring in feet as well as some strong winds.
A Winter Storm Warning is in effect for most of eastern New York as well as western Mass and southern Vermont. The National Weather Service in Albany says the Capital Region can expect to see light snow Monday afternoon with heavy snow falling at 1-2″ an hour Monday night into Tuesday.
Here is a more zoomed-in onset time graphic for just eastern New York & western New England. This should eliminate confusion on what day the precipitation starts…it is Monday. Also it will begin as rain or a rain/snow mix in the lower elevations then change to snow Monday night pic.twitter.com/rxRJeIDscI— NWS Albany (@NWSAlbany) March 13, 2023
Tuesday travel is expected to be ‘treacherous’ with heavy snow and winds at 25-30 mph.
A map from the National Weather Service in Albany shows the intensity of the storm.
Heavy snowfall rates are expected to develop Monday night into Tuesday with rates reaching 1-2+ inches/hr (e.g. greens and yellows), particularly over the higher elevations of the eastern Catskills and western New England. Here’s a model depiction of the snowfall rates. pic.twitter.com/fe2iCK4aPA— NWS Albany (@NWSAlbany) March 13, 2023
National Grid says customers should expect power outages in some areas, they will have crews working around the clock to address any issues.
We’re prepared for a powerful Nor’easter to impact Massachusetts Monday evening through Wednesday, bringing significant snow, strong winds, rain, and minor coastal flooding into the region.— National Grid US (@nationalgridus) March 13, 2023
For outage information and storm-related safety tips, visit https://t.co/yv0gwbKBOa pic.twitter.com/ruVgSQKESV
feature photo: Reuters
- New Date for Bruce Springsteen in Albany AnnouncedHe canceled his March 14th show due to illness.
- What is Actor Bill Murray Doing in Albany?Here’s where you can expect to see him this weekend
- Need a Summer Gig? Live Nation at SPAC is HiringWork at one of the biggest destinations in the Capital Region
- VIDEO: CDTA Bus Almost Gets Swallowed by SinkholeChaotic scene in Troy Friday morning
- Dance the night away on stage at SPACThe Saratoga Performing Arts Center Announces its inaugural Summer SPACtacular
- There’s snow stopping it nowSnow continues to fall leaving thousands without power.
- Grammy winning artists to join 2023 SPAC lineupSupergroup TLC and Shaggy coming with special guests En Vogue and Sean Kingston
- It’s a Nor’easter! Snow Totals Increased Across the Capital RegionWhen will it start, when will it end and how much will we get?
- Springsteen Postpones Albany ShowThe announcement was made Sunday afternoon
- Free Coffee on Daylight SavingGrab a free pick me up if you’re tired after springing ahead
- New Ballston Lake Pier and Boat Launch to Open in MayAnglers and kayakers have been waiting almost two years for this
- Road Closures in Albany for St. Patrick’s Day ParadeIf you’re going to Albany Saturday, here’s where to avoid driving/parking
- Truck Pulled from Hudson River in Troy [VIDEO]A large team of emergency crews are on the scene
- Springsteen Postpones Ohio Show Due to IllnessHis Albany date is only five days away
- Could 70 mph Speed Limit be Coming to New York State?Two state legislators are making the pitch for it to happen. The speed limit hasn’t been raised since 1995, when it went…
- Food for Thought & All That Jazzdon’t miss the 31st annual celebration of Food for Thought and All That Jazz on Tuesday, April 4th 5:30pm at SUNY SCCC
- Proctors announces its 2023-2024 Subscription SeasonProctors Collaborative pulled out all the stops last night during their circus themed bash to announce their 2023-2024 Subscription Season for Proctors…
- Scotia Getting a New Bakery on Saturdayand they’re offering free cookies!
- VIDEO: Were You Stuck on the Northway Monday Night? Here’s WhyTraffic was down to one lane
- Height Measuring System Coming to the Glenville BridgeWill this finally fix the problem?