Some of the best donuts you will ever taste are from an incredible locally owned shop on North Pearl Street.
Cider Belly opened in 2014 as a joint venture between brother and sister Andy & Jennifer Novak. They’ve been in their downtown location close to ten years and even opened a second shop in Colonie last year.
Unfortunately, the amount of people continuing to work from home after the pandemic has taken its toll on their downtown location. The Times Union reports a note on the door of the shop reads:
We’ve been fighting to keep our downtown shop open in hopes people will find their way back to the office. Sadly, we just can’t afford to continue waiting. Times have changed and we have to change too. The last day of business, for now, was this past Saturday.
The owners say sales are only at 70% of pre-pandemic levels at best. Since many have still not returned to the office, traffic to the store is down significantly.
The good news is, Cider Belly is not shutting down entirely. The Albany location will still serve as a kitchen to prepare sweets for its location at 53 Fuller Rd in Colonie. Hours at that shop will actually be expanding to 7am-4pm weekdays and 8am-1pm on weekends.
The owners are hoping this move is only temporary and traffic in Albany will eventually pick back up.
feature photo: pixabay
- New Date for Bruce Springsteen in Albany AnnouncedHe canceled his March 14th show due to illness.
- What is Actor Bill Murray Doing in Albany?Here’s where you can expect to see him this weekend
- Need a Summer Gig? Live Nation at SPAC is HiringWork at one of the biggest destinations in the Capital Region
- VIDEO: CDTA Bus Almost Gets Swallowed by SinkholeChaotic scene in Troy Friday morning
- Dance the night away on stage at SPACThe Saratoga Performing Arts Center Announces its inaugural Summer SPACtacular
- There’s snow stopping it nowSnow continues to fall leaving thousands without power.
- Grammy winning artists to join 2023 SPAC lineupSupergroup TLC and Shaggy coming with special guests En Vogue and Sean Kingston
- It’s a Nor’easter! Snow Totals Increased Across the Capital RegionWhen will it start, when will it end and how much will we get?
- Springsteen Postpones Albany ShowThe announcement was made Sunday afternoon
- Free Coffee on Daylight SavingGrab a free pick me up if you’re tired after springing ahead
- New Ballston Lake Pier and Boat Launch to Open in MayAnglers and kayakers have been waiting almost two years for this
- Road Closures in Albany for St. Patrick’s Day ParadeIf you’re going to Albany Saturday, here’s where to avoid driving/parking
- Truck Pulled from Hudson River in Troy [VIDEO]A large team of emergency crews are on the scene
- Springsteen Postpones Ohio Show Due to IllnessHis Albany date is only five days away
- Could 70 mph Speed Limit be Coming to New York State?Two state legislators are making the pitch for it to happen. The speed limit hasn’t been raised since 1995, when it went…
- Food for Thought & All That Jazzdon’t miss the 31st annual celebration of Food for Thought and All That Jazz on Tuesday, April 4th 5:30pm at SUNY SCCC
- Proctors announces its 2023-2024 Subscription SeasonProctors Collaborative pulled out all the stops last night during their circus themed bash to announce their 2023-2024 Subscription Season for Proctors…
- Scotia Getting a New Bakery on Saturdayand they’re offering free cookies!
- VIDEO: Were You Stuck on the Northway Monday Night? Here’s WhyTraffic was down to one lane
- Height Measuring System Coming to the Glenville BridgeWill this finally fix the problem?