The death toll from the devastating earthquake that struck Turkey and Syria on Monday is estimated to be close to 20,000. Here in the Capital Region, volunteers are collecting, packing up, and shipping supplies to the areas hit hardest by the quake.
Ramiz Turan, originally from Turkey is one of the organizers of the effort to collect much needed items. A donation center has been set up at the former Save-A-Lot store in Menands.
We are very small but, it’s just a drop of water, it’s something. It’s something. We’re not looking at it, how much we will help them, we’re looking at it, we want to help.News 10
Before the donation center officially opened on Wednesday, the generosity of the Capital Region was apparent when volunteers arrived to find dozens of boxes packed with supplies for those in need.
Boxes keep coming, people keep coming, all these people, most of them don’t know each other, but they want to come to help,News 10
The donation center is located at 100 Broadway in Menands and are taking donations daily between 1pm and 5pm.
Some of the items in need include:
- Baby Supplies
- Personal Hygiene Products
Donations collected will be taken to the Turkish consulate in New York City and shipped directly to Turkey.
photo: News 10 Video
- New Date for Bruce Springsteen in Albany AnnouncedHe canceled his March 14th show due to illness.
- What is Actor Bill Murray Doing in Albany?Here’s where you can expect to see him this weekend
- Need a Summer Gig? Live Nation at SPAC is HiringWork at one of the biggest destinations in the Capital Region
- VIDEO: CDTA Bus Almost Gets Swallowed by SinkholeChaotic scene in Troy Friday morning
- Dance the night away on stage at SPACThe Saratoga Performing Arts Center Announces its inaugural Summer SPACtacular
- There’s snow stopping it nowSnow continues to fall leaving thousands without power.
- Grammy winning artists to join 2023 SPAC lineupSupergroup TLC and Shaggy coming with special guests En Vogue and Sean Kingston
- It’s a Nor’easter! Snow Totals Increased Across the Capital RegionWhen will it start, when will it end and how much will we get?
- Springsteen Postpones Albany ShowThe announcement was made Sunday afternoon
- Free Coffee on Daylight SavingGrab a free pick me up if you’re tired after springing ahead
- New Ballston Lake Pier and Boat Launch to Open in MayAnglers and kayakers have been waiting almost two years for this
- Road Closures in Albany for St. Patrick’s Day ParadeIf you’re going to Albany Saturday, here’s where to avoid driving/parking
- Truck Pulled from Hudson River in Troy [VIDEO]A large team of emergency crews are on the scene
- Springsteen Postpones Ohio Show Due to IllnessHis Albany date is only five days away
- Could 70 mph Speed Limit be Coming to New York State?Two state legislators are making the pitch for it to happen. The speed limit hasn’t been raised since 1995, when it went…
- Food for Thought & All That Jazzdon’t miss the 31st annual celebration of Food for Thought and All That Jazz on Tuesday, April 4th 5:30pm at SUNY SCCC
- Proctors announces its 2023-2024 Subscription SeasonProctors Collaborative pulled out all the stops last night during their circus themed bash to announce their 2023-2024 Subscription Season for Proctors…
- Scotia Getting a New Bakery on Saturdayand they’re offering free cookies!
- VIDEO: Were You Stuck on the Northway Monday Night? Here’s WhyTraffic was down to one lane
- Height Measuring System Coming to the Glenville BridgeWill this finally fix the problem?