It was a warmer than usual January, but February may make up for that. According to the National Weather Service, our coldest days of the season are just a few days away.
A very cold burst of weather will arrive in the Northeast Thursday night and stay into Saturday. Making it worse will be wind chills sending temperatures plunging into the negatives.
Thursday night’s low will be 9 above, while high temps on Friday and Saturday are only expected to get into the mid-teens. Gusty winds, however, will make it feel as low as 40 below in some areas.
The worst of it will come Friday night into Saturday with the Adirondacks experiencing the lowest temps.
*Heads-up for Friday into Saturday* Dangerously cold temperatures & wind chills are forecast. This will be the coldest air mass of the winter season so far along with gusty northwest winds. Wind Chills in the -20s to -40s are forecast Fri night. Lowest values in the Adirondacks. pic.twitter.com/WWOwLJwWjr— NWS Albany (@NWSAlbany) January 30, 2023
The cold weather will last through Saturday night, once again getting back down into the single digits. Temperatures will rise into the mid 30’s on Sunday.
The National Weather Service recommends the following tips for extreme cold and wind chills:
- Stay dry. Wet clothing results in much faster heat loss from your body. Wear waterproof insulated boots.
- Stay covered. Wear mittens or gloves, and wear a hat. At least half of your body heat is lost if your head is not covered.
- Dress layered. Trapped air between loose fitting clothing helps to insulate.
- Stay informed. Have a portable NOAA weather radio nearby to keep you up-to-date with the latest forecasts and warnings. Use wind chill temperatures to guide you in dressing properly for the outdoors. On very cold days, minimize your exposure to the outdoors if possible.
feature photo: pixabay
- New Date for Bruce Springsteen in Albany AnnouncedHe canceled his March 14th show due to illness.
- What is Actor Bill Murray Doing in Albany?Here’s where you can expect to see him this weekend
- Need a Summer Gig? Live Nation at SPAC is HiringWork at one of the biggest destinations in the Capital Region
- VIDEO: CDTA Bus Almost Gets Swallowed by SinkholeChaotic scene in Troy Friday morning
- Dance the night away on stage at SPACThe Saratoga Performing Arts Center Announces its inaugural Summer SPACtacular
- There’s snow stopping it nowSnow continues to fall leaving thousands without power.
- Grammy winning artists to join 2023 SPAC lineupSupergroup TLC and Shaggy coming with special guests En Vogue and Sean Kingston
- It’s a Nor’easter! Snow Totals Increased Across the Capital RegionWhen will it start, when will it end and how much will we get?
- Springsteen Postpones Albany ShowThe announcement was made Sunday afternoon
- Free Coffee on Daylight SavingGrab a free pick me up if you’re tired after springing ahead
- New Ballston Lake Pier and Boat Launch to Open in MayAnglers and kayakers have been waiting almost two years for this
- Road Closures in Albany for St. Patrick’s Day ParadeIf you’re going to Albany Saturday, here’s where to avoid driving/parking
- Truck Pulled from Hudson River in Troy [VIDEO]A large team of emergency crews are on the scene
- Springsteen Postpones Ohio Show Due to IllnessHis Albany date is only five days away
- Could 70 mph Speed Limit be Coming to New York State?Two state legislators are making the pitch for it to happen. The speed limit hasn’t been raised since 1995, when it went…
- Food for Thought & All That Jazzdon’t miss the 31st annual celebration of Food for Thought and All That Jazz on Tuesday, April 4th 5:30pm at SUNY SCCC
- Proctors announces its 2023-2024 Subscription SeasonProctors Collaborative pulled out all the stops last night during their circus themed bash to announce their 2023-2024 Subscription Season for Proctors…
- Scotia Getting a New Bakery on Saturdayand they’re offering free cookies!
- VIDEO: Were You Stuck on the Northway Monday Night? Here’s WhyTraffic was down to one lane
- Height Measuring System Coming to the Glenville BridgeWill this finally fix the problem?