Update 1/19/23: At a press conference Thursday morning, police identified Jeremiah J. Guyette as the likely killer of Violet Filkins. He would have been 17 at the time. In 2019 he committed suicide a day after police went to his Rosendale home to question him about the murder. East Greenbush Police Detective Sergeant Michael Guadagnino said an ex-girlfriend of Guyette helped police to solve the case:
The ex-girlfriend that came forward really had never thought about the statements that Jeremiah had made to her. She was watching cold case homicides on Netflix, saw that and it sprung her attention. She started googling different stuff and saw that Jeremiah had lived in East Greenbush during the time of Violet’s murder, put two and two together and once we got that tip we were able to basically dissect Jeremiah’s life, the different places he lived and then run with that information.News 10
NewsChannel 13 was first to report that police in East Greenbush were finally able to close a case that has haunted the town since 1994.
On August 19th of that year, 81 year old Wilomeana “Violet” Filkins was found beaten to death in her apartment. Police believe she was killed two days prior during a robbery in her home, which was located at Coventry Apartments.
East Greenbush Police along with New York State Police continued investigating over the years. Approximately three years after the murder, a caretaker at a remote cemetery in Nassau discovered items that had been dumped in the area. Seeing as to how the area was known only to locals, they believed the killer lived in that area.
In 2019 a tip led police to the town of Rosendale in Ulster County and a man named Jeremiah Guyette. Guyette lived in East Greenbush at the time of the murder and police went to speak to him. The following day Guyette killed himself.
It’s not yet known what the tip was that brought police to Guyette, but a police press conference is expected to answer some of those questions Thursday morning.
feature photo: New York State Police/Canva
- DMV Inspection Stickers get a New Look in New York StateThe rollout has already begun
- Capital Region County Fair Dates Announced for 2023Set your mind on fried dough!
- Police Searching for Missing Cohoes WomanThey’re asking for your help in locating her
- Druthers Taking Over Popular Saratoga RestaurantThe new operation is expected to open this spring
- Local Mall Hosting Bigfoot ConventionDo you believe?
- 3 Locals to Appear on American Ninja WarriorThe Capital Region has Ninjas!
- Are You Albany’s Next Tulip Queen?Nominations are being accepted now!
- What’s Up with the Abandoned Holiday Inn on Wolf Rd?Vacant since the pandemic, is there about to be progress?
- Casting Call! Commercial Being Filmed in the Capital RegionExtras needed
- When to See The ‘Green Comet’ in the Capital RegionIt hasn’t been seen from earth since cave man days
- Woman of the Week!She’s Yar Lash and Beauty Bar is looking for the most remarkable women in the Capital Region! We’ll give them a chance to…
- Bed Bath & Beyond Shutting Down Capital Region StoreIf you received any gift cards to Bed Bath & Beyond over the holidays, use them quick! The retail chain has added…
- ‘Dangerously Cold’ Temps Coming to the Capital RegionThe coldest air mass of the season is making its way to our area.
- Ace of HeartsAre you looking for Valentines Day Romance? Let B95.5 and Saratoga Casino Hotel play cupid as we turn you into the Capital…
- Popular Capital Region Burrito Restaurant ClosingGet your final order in this weekend!
- Albany Empire Releases 2023 Arena Football ScheduleThe action returns to MVP Arena this April!
- Get ready to Bop with Kidz Bop Live!Get the family and get ready to BOP this summer at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center!! B95.5 is excited to welcome back…
- Scenes from a 1942 Schenectady ParadeHere’s how they partied in the Electric City back in the day!
- Dave Matthews Band Announces Two SPAC DatesA favorite on the Capital Region concert scene for decades.
- Saratoga ChowderfestSaratoga Chowderfest is back for 2023!