Update 1/19/23: At a press conference Thursday morning, police identified Jeremiah J. Guyette as the likely killer of Violet Filkins. He would have been 17 at the time. In 2019 he committed suicide a day after police went to his Rosendale home to question him about the murder. East Greenbush Police Detective Sergeant Michael Guadagnino said an ex-girlfriend of Guyette helped police to solve the case:
The ex-girlfriend that came forward really had never thought about the statements that Jeremiah had made to her. She was watching cold case homicides on Netflix, saw that and it sprung her attention. She started googling different stuff and saw that Jeremiah had lived in East Greenbush during the time of Violet’s murder, put two and two together and once we got that tip we were able to basically dissect Jeremiah’s life, the different places he lived and then run with that information.News 10
NewsChannel 13 was first to report that police in East Greenbush were finally able to close a case that has haunted the town since 1994.
On August 19th of that year, 81 year old Wilomeana “Violet” Filkins was found beaten to death in her apartment. Police believe she was killed two days prior during a robbery in her home, which was located at Coventry Apartments.
East Greenbush Police along with New York State Police continued investigating over the years. Approximately three years after the murder, a caretaker at a remote cemetery in Nassau discovered items that had been dumped in the area. Seeing as to how the area was known only to locals, they believed the killer lived in that area.
In 2019 a tip led police to the town of Rosendale in Ulster County and a man named Jeremiah Guyette. Guyette lived in East Greenbush at the time of the murder and police went to speak to him. The following day Guyette killed himself.
It’s not yet known what the tip was that brought police to Guyette, but a police press conference is expected to answer some of those questions Thursday morning.
feature photo: New York State Police/Canva
- Hot Summer WeekendListen all weekend long for your chance at tickets to see the Hot Summer Nights Tour with TLC and Shaggy June 16th at SPAC!
- Arrested Development to Play Schenectady Summer NightThe Capital Region’s biggest block party is back for 2023!
- Local Choirs to open for ForeignerTwo local chorus groups set to open for the legendary rock band Foreigner and Loverboy at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC) on August 1st.
- Hot Air Balloons in the Capital Region Skies this WeekendHot air balloons, fireworks, carnival rides and more
- [PHOTOS/VIDEO] 25 Years since the Mechanicville TornadoA once in a lifetime storm that ripped through the Capital Region
- Smoky Skies in the Capital Region Tonight, Here’s WhyIt’s actually coming from very far away
- Scotia Announces Freedom Park Concert Series LineupCheck out the local favorites performing this year!
- Fee Free Tickets Opening Day at the SPAC Box OfficeSPAC Route 50 Box Office Opens for the season with no fees to multiple concerts this summer
- Ronald McDonald House prepares for 5K Fun Run and Birthday BashThe Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Capital Region is getting ready for their Birthday Bash and annual 5K Fun Run and Birthday Bash on Saturday, June 24th.
- BREAKING: Tina Turner Passes AwayThe legendary and beloved ‘Queen of Rock N Roll’ was 83
- Ballston Spa Announces Summer Movie SeriesFirst Fridays are for movies in B-SPA
- 200 New Jobs Coming to the Capital RegionGreat news!
- Free Summer Movies at Albany’s Palace TheatreNeed a spot to bring the kids on super-warm summer days? The Palace Theatre will once again be offering their free ‘Summer…
- Big Show Announced for Summer 2024 at SPACAlready getting ready for next summer!
- Colonie, Be Prepared to Boil Water Through the WeekendOfficials will continue testing for safety
- Tri-City Valley Cats Giving Away Free Chick-fil-AThe anticipation has been building for YEARS in the Capital Region, when will we finally get our Chick-fil-A? Two restaurants are almost…
- Big Carnival Underway in ColonieRides, thrills and fair food!
- Albany Airport Adds New Direct FlightsThe new flights will be offered starting this summer
- What’s Going on at this Clifton Park Strip Mall?Who’s moving in?
- Food Truck Festival Coming to East GreenbushSummer is delicious and food truck fare is extra tasty. If you love the street food atmosphere, you’ll want to head over…