The ‘bomb cyclone’ that’s wreaking havoc across parts of the country will make its way to the Capital Region Thursday night into Friday. Although not expected to bring a significant amount of snow to the area, the system will bring very heavy rain, strong winds and dangerous icy conditions.
Travel could be dangerous Friday afternoon as a passing cold front will lead to rapidly falling temperatures and the potential for any wet, untreated roads to quickly become icy. This is the approximate arrival time of subfreezing temps (32F or less). #nywx #vtwx #mawx #ctwx pic.twitter.com/3uL8xk7Eq3— NWS Albany (@NWSAlbany) December 22, 2022
Temperatures on Friday are expected to reach the low 50’s, but quickly plummet into the high teens and 20’s Friday afternoon. The low temps are expected to cause a ‘flash freeze’, meaning roads, sidewalks and bridges could become iced over quickly before the rain has time to run off.
The National Weather Service says the freezing temperatures could arrive as early as 2pm Friday, making the drive home – as well as holiday travel – quite treacherous.
There are already high wind warnings, flood watches and winter weather advisories in effect for much of the area.
The wind will pick up tonight into tomorrow – gusts could be up to 60 mph. It's a good idea to secure any loose items outside that could blow away like flags, Christmas decorations & garbage pales. pic.twitter.com/EWKUDSqcPe— Alyssa Caroprese (@CBS6Alyssa) December 22, 2022
Today will start dry, but rain and snow spreads across the area this afternoon and evening. Winter Weather Advisories are in effect for higher terrain. High Wind Warnings, Wind Advisories and Flood Watches are also in effect for some areas. pic.twitter.com/TKyU4LCUI2— NWS Albany (@NWSAlbany) December 22, 2022
- DMV Inspection Stickers get a New Look in New York StateThe rollout has already begun
- Capital Region County Fair Dates Announced for 2023Set your mind on fried dough!
- Police Searching for Missing Cohoes WomanThey’re asking for your help in locating her
- Druthers Taking Over Popular Saratoga RestaurantThe new operation is expected to open this spring
- Local Mall Hosting Bigfoot ConventionDo you believe?
- 3 Locals to Appear on American Ninja WarriorThe Capital Region has Ninjas!
- Are You Albany’s Next Tulip Queen?Nominations are being accepted now!
- What’s Up with the Abandoned Holiday Inn on Wolf Rd?Vacant since the pandemic, is there about to be progress?
- Casting Call! Commercial Being Filmed in the Capital RegionExtras needed
- When to See The ‘Green Comet’ in the Capital RegionIt hasn’t been seen from earth since cave man days
- Woman of the Week!She’s Yar Lash and Beauty Bar is looking for the most remarkable women in the Capital Region! We’ll give them a chance to…
- Bed Bath & Beyond Shutting Down Capital Region StoreIf you received any gift cards to Bed Bath & Beyond over the holidays, use them quick! The retail chain has added…
- ‘Dangerously Cold’ Temps Coming to the Capital RegionThe coldest air mass of the season is making its way to our area.
- Ace of HeartsAre you looking for Valentines Day Romance? Let B95.5 and Saratoga Casino Hotel play cupid as we turn you into the Capital…
- Popular Capital Region Burrito Restaurant ClosingGet your final order in this weekend!
- Albany Empire Releases 2023 Arena Football ScheduleThe action returns to MVP Arena this April!
- Get ready to Bop with Kidz Bop Live!Get the family and get ready to BOP this summer at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center!! B95.5 is excited to welcome back…
- Scenes from a 1942 Schenectady ParadeHere’s how they partied in the Electric City back in the day!
- Dave Matthews Band Announces Two SPAC DatesA favorite on the Capital Region concert scene for decades.
- Saratoga ChowderfestSaratoga Chowderfest is back for 2023!