The ‘bomb cyclone’ that’s wreaking havoc across parts of the country will make its way to the Capital Region Thursday night into Friday. Although not expected to bring a significant amount of snow to the area, the system will bring very heavy rain, strong winds and dangerous icy conditions.
Travel could be dangerous Friday afternoon as a passing cold front will lead to rapidly falling temperatures and the potential for any wet, untreated roads to quickly become icy. This is the approximate arrival time of subfreezing temps (32F or less). #nywx #vtwx #mawx #ctwx pic.twitter.com/3uL8xk7Eq3— NWS Albany (@NWSAlbany) December 22, 2022
Temperatures on Friday are expected to reach the low 50’s, but quickly plummet into the high teens and 20’s Friday afternoon. The low temps are expected to cause a ‘flash freeze’, meaning roads, sidewalks and bridges could become iced over quickly before the rain has time to run off.
The National Weather Service says the freezing temperatures could arrive as early as 2pm Friday, making the drive home – as well as holiday travel – quite treacherous.
There are already high wind warnings, flood watches and winter weather advisories in effect for much of the area.
The wind will pick up tonight into tomorrow – gusts could be up to 60 mph. It's a good idea to secure any loose items outside that could blow away like flags, Christmas decorations & garbage pales. pic.twitter.com/EWKUDSqcPe— Alyssa Caroprese (@CBS6Alyssa) December 22, 2022
Today will start dry, but rain and snow spreads across the area this afternoon and evening. Winter Weather Advisories are in effect for higher terrain. High Wind Warnings, Wind Advisories and Flood Watches are also in effect for some areas. pic.twitter.com/TKyU4LCUI2— NWS Albany (@NWSAlbany) December 22, 2022
- Rina Sawayama LIVE!B95.5 has your chance to win tickets to see Rina Sawayama live at MASS MoCA on Friday June 9th!
- Fee Free Tickets Opening Day at the SPAC Box OfficeSPAC Route 50 Box Office Opens for the season with no fees to multiple concerts this summer
- Ronald McDonald House prepares for 5K Fun Run and Birthday BashThe Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Capital Region is getting ready for their Birthday Bash and annual 5K Fun Run and Birthday Bash on Saturday, June 24th.
- BREAKING: Tina Turner Passes AwayThe legendary and beloved ‘Queen of Rock N Roll’ was 83
- Ballston Spa Announces Summer Movie SeriesFirst Fridays are for movies in B-SPA
- 200 New Jobs Coming to the Capital RegionGreat news!
- Free Summer Movies at Albany’s Palace TheatreNeed a spot to bring the kids on super-warm summer days? The Palace Theatre will once again be offering their free ‘Summer…
- Big Show Announced for Summer 2024 at SPACAlready getting ready for next summer!
- Colonie, Be Prepared to Boil Water Through the WeekendOfficials will continue testing for safety
- Tri-City Valley Cats Giving Away Free Chick-fil-AThe anticipation has been building for YEARS in the Capital Region, when will we finally get our Chick-fil-A? Two restaurants are almost…
- Big Carnival Underway in ColonieRides, thrills and fair food!
- Albany Airport Adds New Direct FlightsThe new flights will be offered starting this summer
- What’s Going on at this Clifton Park Strip Mall?Who’s moving in?
- Food Truck Festival Coming to East GreenbushSummer is delicious and food truck fare is extra tasty. If you love the street food atmosphere, you’ll want to head over…
- Ice Cream, Mini Golf, Go Kart Complex Coming to GlenvilleThe family fun destination will open this summer
- Capital Region School to ‘Lock’ Student’s Cell PhonesPhones will be ‘locked up’
- The B 95.5 Secret SoundListen for the B95.5 Secret Sound it could be your chance to win cash!
- City of Troy Announces Powers Park Concert SeriesA big lineup of party bands and tribute bands will be performing this summer
- Cooperstown ‘Rail Biking’ The Perfect Day Trip From The Capital RegionIf you’re looking for a unique and fun activity to do with a group of all skill and fitness levels then look…
- Colonie Motel to be Bulldozed, Stewarts Taking its SpotSounds like plans are underway to make it happen quickly