Some parts of the country are expected to get buried in a ‘bomb cyclone’ moving through the Northeast. As for the Capital Region, we’ll get the precipitation, but more in the form of very heavy rain instead of snow.
The National Weather Service says the downpours will begin Thursday night and go into Friday. As much as 3 inches of rain could fall in the Capital Region. Strong winds are also expected to accompany the storm – some parts of of Northern New York are already under a High Wind Watch, where gusts could reach 60 mph.
A major storm will bring heavy rains, snowmelt and strong winds to the local area Thursday night/Friday with much colder air quickly arriving Friday evening. A High Wind Watch has been issued for late Thursday night/Friday for the southern Adirondacks. #nywx #ctwx #mawx #vtwx pic.twitter.com/BJ4OzDmLkp— NWS Albany (@NWSAlbany) December 20, 2022
To add to the craziness of the weather, temperatures on Friday will rise into the 50’s, before significantly dropping back into the 20’s on Saturday.
Your temperatures as we move toward Christmas weekend! A roller coaster ride for sure 🎢 pic.twitter.com/BPzx6NHQBh— Alyssa Caroprese (@CBS6Alyssa) December 21, 2022
With the heavy rain and temperature drop Friday night into Saturday, this could cause a ‘flash freeze’ over the area, where roads could become iced over. Strong winds are also a concern Saturday with potential dangerously cold wind chill temps.
A large storm system will be impacting much of the country in the days leading up to Christmas. Here’s a brief look at the timeline of expected hazards over eastern New York and western New England. pic.twitter.com/WtqvdvV2Tw— NWS Albany (@NWSAlbany) December 20, 2022
It should be noted, if you plan on traveling to other parts of the country, some areas are expected to get hit hard, which could impact travel on a major scale.
The eastern 2/3 of the country will be impacted by a strong low pressure and associated arctic cold front through the holiday weekend. Extreme cold, heavy snow, damaging winds, and even heavy rainfall with flooding are all likely. Dangerous travel is expected for many areas. pic.twitter.com/cDMk6PE4WD— NWS Weather Prediction Center (@NWSWPC) December 20, 2022
feature photo: pixabay
- DMV Inspection Stickers get a New Look in New York StateThe rollout has already begun
- Capital Region County Fair Dates Announced for 2023Set your mind on fried dough!
- Police Searching for Missing Cohoes WomanThey’re asking for your help in locating her
- Druthers Taking Over Popular Saratoga RestaurantThe new operation is expected to open this spring
- Local Mall Hosting Bigfoot ConventionDo you believe?
- 3 Locals to Appear on American Ninja WarriorThe Capital Region has Ninjas!
- Are You Albany’s Next Tulip Queen?Nominations are being accepted now!
- What’s Up with the Abandoned Holiday Inn on Wolf Rd?Vacant since the pandemic, is there about to be progress?
- Casting Call! Commercial Being Filmed in the Capital RegionExtras needed
- When to See The ‘Green Comet’ in the Capital RegionIt hasn’t been seen from earth since cave man days
- Woman of the Week!She’s Yar Lash and Beauty Bar is looking for the most remarkable women in the Capital Region! We’ll give them a chance to…
- Bed Bath & Beyond Shutting Down Capital Region StoreIf you received any gift cards to Bed Bath & Beyond over the holidays, use them quick! The retail chain has added…
- ‘Dangerously Cold’ Temps Coming to the Capital RegionThe coldest air mass of the season is making its way to our area.
- Ace of HeartsAre you looking for Valentines Day Romance? Let B95.5 and Saratoga Casino Hotel play cupid as we turn you into the Capital…
- Popular Capital Region Burrito Restaurant ClosingGet your final order in this weekend!
- Albany Empire Releases 2023 Arena Football ScheduleThe action returns to MVP Arena this April!
- Get ready to Bop with Kidz Bop Live!Get the family and get ready to BOP this summer at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center!! B95.5 is excited to welcome back…
- Scenes from a 1942 Schenectady ParadeHere’s how they partied in the Electric City back in the day!
- Dave Matthews Band Announces Two SPAC DatesA favorite on the Capital Region concert scene for decades.
- Saratoga ChowderfestSaratoga Chowderfest is back for 2023!