Update 12/20 4:54pm: Not a lot of snow, but heavy rain and gusty winds are expected.
A large storm system will be impacting much of the country in the days leading up to Christmas. Here’s a brief look at the timeline of expected hazards over eastern New York and western New England. pic.twitter.com/WtqvdvV2Tw— NWS Albany (@NWSAlbany) December 20, 2022
You’ve probably heard the chatter about a powerful stormfront set to move through the Northeast later this week. Early predictions for the Capital Region have it looking not so bad – thus far.
A major storm system is forecast to impact much of the Nation leading up to Christmas Eve, with widespread gusty winds, areas of heavy rain and heavy snow, as well as bitter cold in its wake. Be sure to pay close attention to the forecast this week as details become certain. ❄️🥶 pic.twitter.com/X3C9byGcek— NWS Weather Prediction Center (@NWSWPC) December 18, 2022
Alyssa Caroprese from CBS 6 says the storm system moving into the area will begin with a mix of rain and snow on Thursday night, changing to all rain on Friday. In fact temperatures on Friday will likely get into the low to mid 50’s.
Those temps will be short lived as we’ll get a big burst of cold weather moving through the area, with temperatures rapidly dropping Friday night into the teens and highs only in the 20’s for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
Your workweek fcst: Seasonably cool and breezy today with snow showers in the Wrn Mohawk Valley and possibly the Capital District & Berks. Temps steady thru Friday when a large storm system brings rain, snow, and wind ahead of the holiday weekend. #nywx #mawx #ctwx #vtwx pic.twitter.com/bA0Iwrjark— NWS Albany (@NWSAlbany) December 19, 2022
So the good news as of now, there may be some scattered snow, but nothing too siginificant. Of course, this is the Northeast. We all know how quickly things can change.
feature photo: Reuters
- Hot Summer WeekendListen all weekend long for your chance at tickets to see the Hot Summer Nights Tour with TLC and Shaggy June 16th at SPAC!
- Arrested Development to Play Schenectady Summer NightThe Capital Region’s biggest block party is back for 2023!
- Local Choirs to open for ForeignerTwo local chorus groups set to open for the legendary rock band Foreigner and Loverboy at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC) on August 1st.
- Hot Air Balloons in the Capital Region Skies this WeekendHot air balloons, fireworks, carnival rides and more
- [PHOTOS/VIDEO] 25 Years since the Mechanicville TornadoA once in a lifetime storm that ripped through the Capital Region
- Smoky Skies in the Capital Region Tonight, Here’s WhyIt’s actually coming from very far away
- Scotia Announces Freedom Park Concert Series LineupCheck out the local favorites performing this year!
- Fee Free Tickets Opening Day at the SPAC Box OfficeSPAC Route 50 Box Office Opens for the season with no fees to multiple concerts this summer
- Ronald McDonald House prepares for 5K Fun Run and Birthday BashThe Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Capital Region is getting ready for their Birthday Bash and annual 5K Fun Run and Birthday Bash on Saturday, June 24th.
- BREAKING: Tina Turner Passes AwayThe legendary and beloved ‘Queen of Rock N Roll’ was 83
- Ballston Spa Announces Summer Movie SeriesFirst Fridays are for movies in B-SPA
- 200 New Jobs Coming to the Capital RegionGreat news!
- Free Summer Movies at Albany’s Palace TheatreNeed a spot to bring the kids on super-warm summer days? The Palace Theatre will once again be offering their free ‘Summer…
- Big Show Announced for Summer 2024 at SPACAlready getting ready for next summer!
- Colonie, Be Prepared to Boil Water Through the WeekendOfficials will continue testing for safety
- Tri-City Valley Cats Giving Away Free Chick-fil-AThe anticipation has been building for YEARS in the Capital Region, when will we finally get our Chick-fil-A? Two restaurants are almost…
- Big Carnival Underway in ColonieRides, thrills and fair food!
- Albany Airport Adds New Direct FlightsThe new flights will be offered starting this summer
- What’s Going on at this Clifton Park Strip Mall?Who’s moving in?
- Food Truck Festival Coming to East GreenbushSummer is delicious and food truck fare is extra tasty. If you love the street food atmosphere, you’ll want to head over…