Update 12/20 4:54pm: Not a lot of snow, but heavy rain and gusty winds are expected.
A large storm system will be impacting much of the country in the days leading up to Christmas. Here’s a brief look at the timeline of expected hazards over eastern New York and western New England. pic.twitter.com/WtqvdvV2Tw— NWS Albany (@NWSAlbany) December 20, 2022
You’ve probably heard the chatter about a powerful stormfront set to move through the Northeast later this week. Early predictions for the Capital Region have it looking not so bad – thus far.
A major storm system is forecast to impact much of the Nation leading up to Christmas Eve, with widespread gusty winds, areas of heavy rain and heavy snow, as well as bitter cold in its wake. Be sure to pay close attention to the forecast this week as details become certain. ❄️🥶 pic.twitter.com/X3C9byGcek— NWS Weather Prediction Center (@NWSWPC) December 18, 2022
Alyssa Caroprese from CBS 6 says the storm system moving into the area will begin with a mix of rain and snow on Thursday night, changing to all rain on Friday. In fact temperatures on Friday will likely get into the low to mid 50’s.
Those temps will be short lived as we’ll get a big burst of cold weather moving through the area, with temperatures rapidly dropping Friday night into the teens and highs only in the 20’s for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
Your workweek fcst: Seasonably cool and breezy today with snow showers in the Wrn Mohawk Valley and possibly the Capital District & Berks. Temps steady thru Friday when a large storm system brings rain, snow, and wind ahead of the holiday weekend. #nywx #mawx #ctwx #vtwx pic.twitter.com/bA0Iwrjark— NWS Albany (@NWSAlbany) December 19, 2022
So the good news as of now, there may be some scattered snow, but nothing too siginificant. Of course, this is the Northeast. We all know how quickly things can change.
feature photo: Reuters
- DMV Inspection Stickers get a New Look in New York StateThe rollout has already begun
- Capital Region County Fair Dates Announced for 2023Set your mind on fried dough!
- Police Searching for Missing Cohoes WomanThey’re asking for your help in locating her
- Druthers Taking Over Popular Saratoga RestaurantThe new operation is expected to open this spring
- Local Mall Hosting Bigfoot ConventionDo you believe?
- 3 Locals to Appear on American Ninja WarriorThe Capital Region has Ninjas!
- Are You Albany’s Next Tulip Queen?Nominations are being accepted now!
- What’s Up with the Abandoned Holiday Inn on Wolf Rd?Vacant since the pandemic, is there about to be progress?
- Casting Call! Commercial Being Filmed in the Capital RegionExtras needed
- When to See The ‘Green Comet’ in the Capital RegionIt hasn’t been seen from earth since cave man days
- Woman of the Week!She’s Yar Lash and Beauty Bar is looking for the most remarkable women in the Capital Region! We’ll give them a chance to…
- Bed Bath & Beyond Shutting Down Capital Region StoreIf you received any gift cards to Bed Bath & Beyond over the holidays, use them quick! The retail chain has added…
- ‘Dangerously Cold’ Temps Coming to the Capital RegionThe coldest air mass of the season is making its way to our area.
- Ace of HeartsAre you looking for Valentines Day Romance? Let B95.5 and Saratoga Casino Hotel play cupid as we turn you into the Capital…
- Popular Capital Region Burrito Restaurant ClosingGet your final order in this weekend!
- Albany Empire Releases 2023 Arena Football ScheduleThe action returns to MVP Arena this April!
- Get ready to Bop with Kidz Bop Live!Get the family and get ready to BOP this summer at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center!! B95.5 is excited to welcome back…
- Scenes from a 1942 Schenectady ParadeHere’s how they partied in the Electric City back in the day!
- Dave Matthews Band Announces Two SPAC DatesA favorite on the Capital Region concert scene for decades.
- Saratoga ChowderfestSaratoga Chowderfest is back for 2023!